Truth be told, being a christian these days is more theoretical than practical. We often assume that a good knowledge of the bible/the word of God translates to a better and more disciplined life style. Unfortunately, that’s not always the case! It is nothing new to see that even Pastors, Priests and ministers are among those that perpetrate the worst atrocities in our society talk-less of Christians who aren’t serving in such capacity.
Being a Christian is demanding, it requires that one should more often go against trends, popular believes, feelings and many more. Do you know how difficult that can be?
It requires that one surrenders their Will to the Will of Christ and be guided by the Spirit of God every single minute of every single day of every single year they live here on earth. Do you know how difficult it is?
To turn the other cheek when you get slapped whereas you have hands to slap the hell out of the person
Perhaps you may think this is the ranting of an unbeliever but please tell me how easy or even realistic it is
- To love and respect a parent that constantly maltreated you at home and finally abandoned you as a child on the street, only to show up at your door 2 decades later demanding for love, care and respect
- To put up a smile and warmly greet your Ex fiance and best friend at a shopping mall that are about to get married and are not in the slightest bit remorseful for betraying you?
- To explain miracles or demonic powers to people in this ever evolving scientific world? Perhaps very soon, scientist will create sandals and shoes that walk on water and even a rod that parts water into two. Watch the space Christians
- To preach the word of God at your work place. Not many of us would want to risk getting judged by the people we preach to when we peradventure make mistake
- To let go of a job offer that pays well but deprives one the freedom to worship God?
- To pray graciously for someone that hurt you and is probably still hurting you and is not remorseful about their action?
- How easy is it to dress modestly or keep your body properly clothed these day and age without being tagged as stone age?
In case we haven’t noticed Christians nowadays are allowed to wear bum shorts and other nude or revealing apparels. Christians are allowed to have homosexuals as ordained pastors and ministers. Christians are allow to have Tattoos, in fact, it is increasingly recommendable that youth pastors have tattoos to attract more youth into the church and make them comfortable in the house of God. Oh, premarital sex and cohabiting is totally nothing to worry about among Christians, after all they will eventually get married to each other. Politics of pulling down other people through lies, hate, anger, deception etc is permitted, that’s how perfect candidates for leadership positions are gotten. The list goes on and on! One is left wondering what’s the difference between the church and the world? But people often shove the “MIND YOUR BUSINESS” card in the form of slogans such as “God looks at the Heart not your outward appearance” and “Do not Judge” Are these quotes ever used out of context or misinterpreted? 1 Samuel 16:7 & Matthew 7:1 respectively.
Who is Judging? People or the bible you ascribe to?
As Christians increasingly realize that the path they’ve chosen is not easy, the best possible option left is to bend the word of God to suite their life styles. ‘Follow which ever scripture that suits your life style after all we are mere mortals and God understands‘. Morality for many ‘Christians” these days is increasingly becoming subjective as opposed to being founded in the Word of God.
So what then is the difference between Christians and non Christians?
According to Subdeacon Claude Lopez-Ginisty.“To be a Christian in the 21st century is, as it always was the case for Christians during the past centuries, to be physically present to the world, and to start living in the spiritual dimension of eternity. Respectful of human laws, it implies that we also abide by God’s commandments, and that we try and demonstrate to our neighbors that we are indeed disciples of the One Who, although He lived in the world of His times, was always relating to the higher dimension of the Kingdom. We do have to be living icons, manifesting as best as we can, that Christ is among us. It is a great responsibility, and we can but hope that with God’s grace, we will be able to achieve this high calling”
To be a Christian is difficult but not impossible!
Greater rewards are reserved for those who never take the easy route to success.
©MisG Chinonye Ifezue
Thanks for reading, feel free to share your thoughts and comments below
Much love ❤