Right from a young age mom hammered in punctuality into our heads no matter how hard it was then, especially when its about Gods work or service. She lived by example and still does. I am so proud of her. In fact am so grateful for the hard lessons and lectures!
She would say on Sunday mornings ‘Am out and am not waiting for anybody’. Believe me when I say she doesn’t joke! If you were half dressed, tough luck, Just grab any shoe around, scarf and bible and race to the car! She only gave 5 minute grace and bam! she’s out.
Many a times, I always the one preparing on the way to church while being lectured by mom . I was even given a tag for it and I was definitely not proud of it. I guess it was the best way for mom to drill in punctuality into our thick skull… My dad tries but then, he has his own car. No one in the house can beat moms punctuality twice in a row.
Mom cherishes her appointment with God and she wanted the family to do the same.
Today, even though I and my elder sister no longer live with our parents, we still ensure we are on time to church to meet with God . We need to understand that…
When the church says it starts at 7pm, 9am or 10pm or whatever time the program… We are basically telling God, we have an appointment with Him at that time and we know that God keeps to appointment. The question is ”DO WE KEEP TO OUR APPOINTMENT?’‘
Our appointment with God is not an appointment with the Pastors, ministers and congregants even though God uses them as vessels to minister to us. Just like a love relationship or a business meeting, its not pleasant to keep a partner waiting especially when there is an agreed upon time of meeting. If such behavior persist, one partner might nurse the feeling of being less important to the other partner; so also is God hurt when we make it a habit to be late.
We often show no remorse because we don’t consider it an offense in the first place. After all, God is that big guy above who does not mind my little wrong actions. Of course He is mighty and all powerful but He created you in His image which means that if you were created with emotions, your creator has emotions too. Just like God respects His children, He expect that we respect Him to.
Some of the reasons why we are often late for our appointment with God are
1) ‘They always start late, so what’s the point of me sitting there and waiting for them. I rather go late to church when I know a couple of people have arrived’.
2) I am doing the Pastor and Church a favor at all; they need my presence more than I need theirs.
3) Trivial excuses such as for example we had no water since yesterday etc. What if it was a Job interview? Would we skip it?
4) There are few men in that church and I need a husband. God is not blind, He is more than able to grant us our heart desire. He reserves the best for His children
5) The church is too small for my liking and quite frankly, I am tired of being given a lot of responsibilities in that church. The great commission, the work of Christ is not for the faint hearted. It is not easy, but God assures us that His grace is sufficient for us 2Corinth 12:9
LET YOUR APPOINTMENT BE WITH GOD.
God bless you